Thursday, February 8, 2007

Kicking Airplane Soldier

The title refers to the name of the band I wanted to form at the age of seven. I never got around to it, but it's relevant because I was thinking of voice in the most basic sense the other day.
I have an hour long commute to and from school so most of the stuff I post on here is going to be from my internal monologue created in the cab of my truck on 695. Don't worry...the thoughts mainly consist of school-related things.
As far as music goes, the voice is something that kind of keeps the composition all together. Neverminding instrumental music (which has a voice all its own, I suppose), I'm just thinking of a frontman to any basic rock band. I'll just use the examples of Elvis Costello and the Attractions and Queen. Both Elvis Costello and Freddie Mercury use their voices as instruments, rather than simply talking devices that churn out lyrics. More than this, their voices change to convey the emotion of the song being performed. Costello can go from endearing to snide with one guitar snap. It just depends on the rest of the song. Freddie could coo like a lounge lizard but also packed enough punch to fill any stadium.
My point is, voices change. Even the same voice changes. The question remains, "can voice in writing be taught?" I have no idea. I think you can help students find their own voice. Find out what rhetorical devices work for them. For instance, I like to make epic metaphors for everyday things. I can talk about squabbling with the local grocer like it's some kind of ideological warfare. But that's what teaching is, isn't it? It's not pure instruction...it's more like guiding students along. Suddenly, you and your students are in some campy '60s movie and you're walking with them while pointing out Las Vegas-style signs that say exciting things like "SIMILE" and "ALLITERATION."
Righto, well that's all I have for voice. I know it's a bit late (topic-wise) but I couldn't figure out how this confounded thing worked until 6 o'clock this morning. I'll respond to the readings tomorrow.

No comments: